Monday, May 19, 2008

More About Dogs - Ten Reasons to Have a Dog

I am trying to exorcise some of my dog energy. I may also be trying to convince myself that I am not insane for wanting to get another dog while I live in nine hundred square foot house with two cats, an eight month old baby, a three year old toddler, and a husband who isn't super enthusiastic about adding to our furry contingent right now. Or maybe I am trying to convince Mitch that getting another dog is a good idea. Anyway, here are some of my reasons for having a dog.

10. Dogs eat cat puke. When your cats puke as much as mine do, this becomes a real benefit.
9. Dogs eat pretty much everything, including spaghetti, applesauce, bread, veggie burger, and french fries which are just a few of the food items that I removed from our kitchen floor yesterday thanks to the past actions of Lucy and Josie.
8. Exercise. Yes, I am weak willed. But when I had to get up and walk Cleo, I often went for a run. If I had to get up and go walking anyway, why not go running?
7. It makes me feel better to pet a dog. And sometimes I need to feel better.
6. Nothing beats a good tail wagging to show you the silver lining in a situation.
5. Dogs help me get an attitude adjustment. How can you be in a bad mood when they are so clearly happy to be alive?
4. Growing up with a dog teaches kids that other beings are important too.
3. I really like picking up extremely smelly shit and I don't get enough of that now that Lucy is 99% potty-trained.
2. Dogs keep the cats on their game.
1. Although I often fail them, being a dog's person helps me remember to try to be the person that I want to be.

No comments: