Friday, March 13, 2009

Finally...Carrots

Lucy loves carrots which is good because carrots are one of the few vegetables she will eat. And, considering the combined optical acumen of her parents, she's going to need a lot of help in the vision department later on. So when we first planted our garden bed, we planted a bunch of carrot seeds in one of the squares. Well no carrots ever came up and that space got taken over by strawberries.

When I ripped out the tomatoes at the end of tomato season, Lucy and I again planted carrot seeds. This time around lots of carrot seedlings came up and every time we would go out the door Lucy and I would talk about the carrots and when they might be ready to eat. But then, once again, the carrots lost out. This time a bunch of tomato seedlings volunteered and took over the whole area. Lucy talks about this hostile take over as our carrots turning into tomatoes. Not quite right biologically but pretty reflective of the reality. So once again I ripped out the tomatoes (non-productive tomatoes this time since it has been too cold at night for fruits) and we found four poor little carrot seedlings struggling along under what had been the tomato forest.

Finally last weekend I let Lucy pull up two of the carrots and eat them. They were great!! They were cute little guys since I picked short varieties because I was unsure about the soil under the garden bed. Lucy was very excited and enjoyed chomping down on them. I have an adorable photo of her holding her carrot but you will have to wait until I am back in Ventura and can upload the photo. For now, suffice it to say that in the third go round, we finally produced four fine carrots.

No comments: