Monday, March 17, 2008

Haircuts


I love getting my hair cut. I love the shampoo head massage. I love the spinny, reclining chair. I love the cutting and the clipping and the powder that they brush on your neck. I love all the hair falling on the floor and even the itchy little stray hairs that get left on your neck after a haircut. I especially love the fresh head feeling of a new haircut.

I had a great hair dresser in Davis, CA, Barb Scott. Barb has a great fashion sense and while she never really did exactly what I asked her (her own sense of style was too strong and had to be obeyed), I was always happy with the haircuts that she gave me. I miss Barb's haircuts and the beauty salon therapy session that accompanied them.

Now that I have two small children, taking the time for a professional haircut has fallen by the wayside. I sometimes make it to supercuts to get a 20 minute o.k. haircut. But it is no Barb Scott experience. I haven't made it even to supercuts for several months. So now I cut my own hair myself by looking the mirror and cutting with giant Fiskar scissors whatever I can see. I end up with a vaguely mental patient haircut.

And now I have the pleasure of continuing a Brigham family tradition - doing your own kids haircuts. Both Mitch and I have cut Lucy's hair and she loves it! This weekend I managed to stab her in the neck with the giant fiskars by accident (I didn't draw blood) and she still loved her haircut. And it looks darn good if I do say so myself (compare her corn photo to the photo above and you will see my handi-work).

My dad used to cut my brother and my hair for years using some weird little hand razor thing he had. He gave us bowl cuts, very similar to what Lucy is sporting in this photograph. I am very happy to continue the tradition as long as Lucy continues to tolerate it.

1 comment:

TiffAnn said...

HEY! I don't see the pictures of Lucy before and after the stabbing incident.

I miss Barb Scott and the Hair Cabana too.