Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I've read a lot of really good books recently so these great books may get a bit of a short shrift in these reviews as I try to review them all. I got the latest Khaled Hussein book for Christmas and it is really good. I enjoyed Kite Runner although I thought the ending was a bit too tidy.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is the story of the recent history in Afghanistan as told through the lives of several female characters. The writing is beautiful, with amazing descriptions of the country. Reading this book also really brought home the reality of the different cultural and religious groups within Afghanistan and what a huge toll all of the years of fighting has had on this country and its people.

I highly recommend this book. Great narrative, beautiful writing, interesting history, and super relevant to the current state of the world.

No comments: