Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cold Cereal Connection

I have been going back to my roots this summer. I picked up the remaining dregs of my mom's ashes out of the dirt floored basement at my dad's house when I visited there earlier this summer. Since then, I've been having some good dead mom bonding experiences. I've been doing a lot of gardening with Lucy which always takes me back to my mom, in her overalls, out weeding the garden after work. I was never into gardening growing up so doing all this gardening now (even if it is only in a 6 feet wide by 10 feet long strip in my front yard) reminds me a lot of my mom. My only disappointment is that she isn't around to see me weeding and watering along with Lucy picking our tomatoes.

My other summer mom connection is a recent nightly ritual that Mitch and I have gotten into since we don't have any ice cream in our freezer. We have started having a bowl of cereal around 9 PM every night. We are having honey nut cheerios which is sweet enough to feel like dessert. My mom always used to have cold cereal around 10 o'clock at night. She usually had rice crispies, but still.

It is nice to have these connections to the missing.

No comments: